Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SS and Science, the “Cinderella” Subjects! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

SS and Science, the “Cinderella” Subjects! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

SS and Science, the “Cinderella” Subjects!

I am now blogging in my sleep. I know it’s time for the new school year, because half of my dream was spent in a classroom where I was used an innovative method to teach about Bolivia. (And no, I don’t teach Bolivia, so ???) Anyway, just before I woke up, my conscious mind said something to the effect of, “Write about SS and Science not being important, blah, blah,blah, the rest was a haze.

I use “Cinderella” in the sense of the traditional fairy tales, the step sisters (in this case Reading and Math), get all the attention, and poor Cinderella gets none. (in this case two Cinderellas, SS and Science.) It irks me because a lot of critical thinking is done during Social Studies and Science, and it seems that we have