Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nine Reasons I Quit Listening « Cooperative Catalyst

Nine Reasons I Quit Listening « Cooperative Catalyst:

Nine Reasons I Quit Listening

Megaphone Man screams gigantic curses at the oncoming traffic. I stop my bike for a moment, stand next to him, not in solidarity, but not in confrontation either.

“Is it possible you might be wrong? I mean, not entirely wrong. Not even wrong in your message, maybe. But is it possible that nobody will ever believe God loves them when they’re being shouted at?”

Megaphone Man shouts louder, so that I can’t even hear his voice. He can’t, either. All I can hear is volume and power of a messy, mechanical amplification. It’s a crazy cacauphony of hell and fire and maybe even a little brimstone every once in awhile. I can hear him, but I can’t listen. So I ride away, as he quotes verses in King James English in such a way that he resembles a Screaming Shakespeare on 19th Avenue.

Last week, I became Megaphone Man. I engaged in a ridiculous debate on a few blogs regarding home-schooling and un-schooling. I grew defensive on this blog when I commented on comments. I felt attacked