Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How Big Urban Districts Can Succeed, Part I | The Education Front Blog | dallasnews.com

How Big Urban Districts Can Succeed, Part I | The Education Front Blog | dallasnews.com

How Big Urban Districts Can Succeed, Part I

Is it possible for a big urban school district to succeed?

That's a subject we have dealt with on this blog over the last couple of years, and it is a timely one with school set to begin in Texas in a couple of weeks. And since Dallas is in the process of starting to select a new superintendent, the question has a bit more urgency for our district.

Over the next few days, I'm going to try to answer that question. Or, let me put it this way: I'm going to suggest ways that I think a big urban district can succeed.

First, let's start with a concept we've been talking about here since early July, and that is the role that innovation