Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Education Research Report: Achievement Gaps between Title I participants and non-participants have narrowed

Education Research Report: Achievement Gaps between Title I participants and non-participants have narrowed

Achievement Gaps between Title I participants and non-participants have narrowed

Ω

Students Served by Title I Make Test Score Gains

Achievement on state reading and math tests has improved in recent years for students participating in the Title I program in most of the states analyzed in a new study by the Center on Education Policy (CEP). For some grades and subjects, more than 90 percent of the 19 states showed gains for Title I students.

The largest of the federal aid programs for K-12 schools, Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 supports extra instructional services for low-performing students at schools with high rates of poverty and for all students at schools with the highest poverty rates. Gaps between Title I participants and other students have also narrowed more often than they have widened since 2002, according to the CEP study, although trends