Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 13, 2011

Open Letter to Pres. Obama: This is What Standardized Testing “Looks” Like! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

Open Letter to Pres. Obama: This is What Standardized Testing “Looks” Like! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

Open Letter to Pres. Obama: This is What Standardized Testing “Looks” Like!

Dear President Obama,
Today was the first day of Round 3 of standardized testing in the state of Delaware. The test is administered online, and the students get their scores immediately. It covers everything we learned in the 5th grade, even though we have not finished the school year.
Let me begin with my morning. I attended a union meeting where I am told the state of Delaware has decided that they will decide whether I am a good teacher according to how well my students do on this test! It’s bad enough, that my school is judged by test scores, but now my ability to teach is questioned because of test scores? Does this seem as ridiculous to you as it does to me? Does anyone realize how many other factors control how our children perform in school?
I have prepared my students to the best of my ability for this test. As much as I despise it, I do not want them to fail. Aren’t we supposed to be creating critical thinkers? How can I do that, when instead of doing projects, or collaborating with our pen pals, we are filling in bubbles!!!!
The test. They worked hard, they really did, and all of them showed growth. In