Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 16, 2011

Note to NYS Board of Regents « Failing Schools

Note to NYS Board of Regents « Failing Schools

Note to NYS Board of Regents

MAY 15, 2011
by markfriedman1

I sent the following email to the NYS Board of Regents regarding their vote today on the use of high-stakes standardized tests to account for 40% of teachers evals despite tremendous research indicating how damaging this will be. I encourage others to do the same:

Dear Board of Regents members,

My name is Mark Friedman. I am an educator in Rochester, NY and an active community organizer. I urge you tomorrow to not vote in favor of having student scores on standardized tests, derived from flawed value-added formulas to account for 40 percent of teachers’ evaluations. Developing such a system of evaluation will be incredibly expensive and seems hypocritical to propose when districts throughou