Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 11, 2011

Geography of School | Mr. Teachbad's Blog of Teacher Disgruntlement

Geography of School | Mr. Teachbad's Blog of Teacher Disgruntlement

Geography of School

There is something that has been pissing me off all year…and I thought I knew what it was. It was right there, in front of me all year. Sort of. And I sort of sensed it. But I didn’t really get it until last week.

And it’s not what you think it’s going to be; the regular cocktail of assholes, dummies and meetings.

It wasn’t dummies at meetings. It wasn’t assholes sending me emails about meetings. It wasn’t feeling like an asshole/dummy because I actually came to this meeting. It wasn’t assholes pretending the were not dummies at meetings. It wasn’t dummies being transformed into assholes during meetings. And it wasn’t simply pretending that people were not assholes or dummies in order to end meetings more quickly. It was actually something important that took me 8 months to figure out. I feel kind of like a dummy.

Part of it I had figured out.

I am the only person on my floor, in my wing of the building, that teaches seniors. I’m on the middle school side of the building. So when I walk out of my room, I run into teachers who essentially do a different job than I do and