Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jay Mathews and the temptation to pick cherries… | Reflections on Teaching

Jay Mathews and the temptation to pick cherries… | Reflections on Teaching

Jay Mathews and the temptation to pick cherries…

IMG_20110328_112446I have not been very efficient this trip. I feel like I haven’t attend a lot of sessions at ASCD and the few I have attended haven’t offered me a lot of new insights. I think part of the problem is that I have done a lousy job of picking out sessions for the few that I did attend. I need a booker.

What happened on Monday at ASCD? Well, Jay Mathews made an appearance ;-) . For those not aware of the joke, Mr. Mathews missed his session originally scheduled for Saturday. That ended up being my big event for the day, so let’s start with that…

Jay Mathews is a well known education writer with books on Jaime Escalante, Escalante: The Best Teacher in America, and the founders of KIPP schools and TFA alums Feinberg and Levin, Work Hard, Be Nice. The long-running theme of his work is about breaking down barriers of exclusivity in education that track students away