Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 25, 2011

Father: Why I didn’t let my son take standardized tests - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Father: Why I didn’t let my son take standardized tests - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Father: Why I didn’t let my son take standardized tests

--

This was written by Timothy D. Slekar, head of the Division of Education, Human Development and Social Sciences at Penn State Altoona, and a parent. His last post on this blog, on March 2, detailed his deliberations about whether his son should take Pennsylvania’s standardized test. This piece explains the verdict and aftermath. It refers to the Bartleby Project, an effort to persuade stdents and parents to boycott standardized tests.

By Timothy D. Slekar

My wife and I had Luke “opt out” of No Child Left Behind standardized testing (here in Pennsylvania known as the Pennsylvania System of School Achievement, or PSSAs). My wife and I have not given into the high stakes testing culture. It is the start of a NCLB boycott known as