Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Daily Kos: teaching about Freedom of Speech, and more

Daily Kos: teaching about Freedom of Speech, and more

teaching about Freedom of Speech, and more

today my non-AP students got to explore part of the First Amendment with me. It was in the form of a discussion, with me asking questions to see how they responded, for example

What is speech?

They might say talking, and we would go beyond. We would get to the difference between pure speech and symbolic speech when I would ask "If you burn an American flag because you are protesting the government can they arrest you for that?"

To help them understand that the protections of speech are against government action I would ask "what if you worked for Sears, were repairing someone's washing machine, they had Rush Limbaugh on the radio and you made a nasty remark. When you got