Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 8, 2010

"Will Work For Experience": The Unpaid Intern - RedEye Royalty

"Will Work For Experience": The Unpaid Intern - RedEye Royalty

"Will Work For Experience": The Unpaid Intern

During the summer of 2008, I took six classes. Six classes, 24 credits: Twice what DePaul considers to be the load of a "full-time" student. I did it all while putting in a good 30 hours a week working a job in a completely different field than the one I was pursuing.

Why did I do this? Because I just loved school so much? Because I hated summer? I'm a masochist? So I'd have something to blog about?

No, and those are terrible, terrible guesses. I gave up my last official summer as a college student so that I could wrap up my undergraduate career after the following fall quarter. It's not that I disliked school, or really had any major qualms with being a legit "Super Senior". (Or as a friend once put it, doing a "Victory Lap".)

No, it was not so much that I wanted to be finished with school, it was that I wanted to get started on the rest of my life.

The career part, that is.

Because that's how it works right? You go to school, you study a subject, and once deemed "ready" by an institution, you go out into the world with your degree in hand and a list of all your extra-curricular activities and a recommendation from your supervisor at the ice cream parlor you worked at every summer and you get yourself that low paying, but full-time, salaried, entry-level position full of growth and potential.