Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Scavenger : Kids question Pelosi on 'home,' running for prez, dysfunctional gov't

The Scavenger : Kids question Pelosi on 'home,' running for prez, dysfunctional gov't
Kids question Pelosi on 'home,' running for prez, dysfunctional gov'




Oh kids. You gotta love them. Especially those who grill Nancy Pelosi. The tykes -- many of them children of journalists -- questioned the House speaker for her annual Q & A during "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day," getting insight on SF, her White House ambitions and the "nature of democracy." [Tip to NBC Bay Area]
Here are highlights of the 30-minute meeting press conference with the rookie reporters. For a full transcript, go the LA Times. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the entire list of questions.
Here, Pelosi gives a shout out to San Francisco:
Q: Where do you live?
A: Well, I live in San Francisco, California. I work in Washington, D.C. And when I work in Washington, D.C., I live in the District of Columbia. But my home is California. I was actually born in Baltimore, Maryland, which is close by here. And I feel a very special relationship there. But I hope you all come out to California. It is a very, very beautiful place. In San Francisco, we have the Golden Gate Bridge, and we have -- it is a beautiful place. And I'm very proud to represent it. But that's where my home is.

The answer to this question made headlines:
Q: Would you ever run for president since you have so much experience?
A. No. Dare I repeat the question? Did I understand it correctly? Would I ever run for President since I have so much experience? Was that the rest of it? Says she. No. I love the job that I have. And I believe that one of the reasons that I do it with the success that I have is that my Members know that I am here for them, for the House of Representatives, and I'm not thinking of another career path for myself. But I'm very proud to be the speaker of the House. It is a great honor, especially being the first woman.

One child -- bless his/her little, blunt heart -- asks a question that's often on everyone's mind.


Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=62007&tsp=1#ixzz0m1ZOVkqo