Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Daily Kos: State of the Nation


Watching the fight for education in California (VIDEO)

Digg this! Tweet this submit to reddit Share This

Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 11:21:07 AM PST

I was already up when the news broke yesterday. I have always been early to rise, but it didn't stop my surprise when the local NBC affiliate got breaking news from the very campus I was on.
I came down to the front of the SFSU campus between classes to see what was going on. KGO was on the scene, as was a cute counter-protester (0:45) who as it later turned out was the head (and possibly only member) of the SFSU College Republicans.


In Southern Californa I'm a loony lib, but up here I'm considered to be conservative. And upon moving out here, I was shocked to discover the "hard left" that I believed to be a fictional creation by right-wing pundits.

Things died down in the afternoon, but as rumors began circulate that the police would storm the building, the protest had turned into something of a dance party. If nothing else, it was most reminiscent of the book release for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

As a vlogger and a native of Southern California, it was a spectacle I couldn't resist. The administration building causeway overlooked the occupied building and was being used as a press box of sorts, so I got up there and, alongside others, started shooting: