Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 26, 2021

Teacher Tom: I'll Try Not to Yuck Your Yum if You Try Not to Yuck Mine

Teacher Tom: I'll Try Not to Yuck Your Yum if You Try Not to Yuck Mine
I'll Try Not to Yuck Your Yum if You Try Not to Yuck Mine



"There are only two bad kinds of ice cream: pistachio and tutti frutti." It's one of the jokes I tell that no one thinks is particularly funny. The kids tend to take me seriously, "What's so bad about them?" And adults tend to snort in imitation of The Dude, "That's, like, just your opinion man."

It's true that those two flavors ruin ice cream for me, although if that's all there is, I'll still eat it, just not with the usual gusto. I've found many who agree with me about tutti frutti, but I often feel as if I'm all alone in my dislike of pistachio. "But that's the best flavor," they'll say or, "You don't know what you're talking about," all in the spirit of the joke, of course.

Ice cream isn't something to fight over. We've all known since we were quite young that everyone perceives flavors in a different way. What we find "yucky" others seem to find "yummy." And even as our beloved adults sometimes try to coax us with promises of bigger muscles or trick us by hiding, say, broccoli in an otherwise delicious marinara sauce, the CONTINUE READING: Teacher Tom: I'll Try Not to Yuck Your Yum if You Try Not to Yuck Mine