Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, January 29, 2021

Andrea Gabor: What the Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman Taught Us | Diane Ravitch's blog

Andrea Gabor: What the Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman Taught Us | Diane Ravitch's blog
Andrea Gabor: What the Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman Taught Us



Andrea Gabor has written recently about the importance of civics education. She has reminded us that the obsession with standardized testing has robbed students of the joy of learning and consumed time that could be better spent in other ways.

The 22-year-old Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman, who spoke so beautifully at the inauguration of President Joe Biden, reminded her that we have lost the study of poetry in our mad Race to Leave No Child Behind and to force testing on every student and teacher.


I heartily agree with Gabor. I have always loved poetry. I edited two collections that included many iconic poems: The American Reader and The English Reader (with my son Michael). During a time when I was grieving the loss of a child, I read poetry and found solace in a poem by Ben Jonson. When my children were young, we read poetry together, and they learned the fun of wordplay.

Gabor writes in her article about the need to allot more CONTINUE READING: Andrea Gabor: What the Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman Taught Us | Diane Ravitch's blog