Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 16, 2020

“I’m Hopeful for a Better Tomorrow” (Justin Lopez-Cardoze) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“I’m Hopeful for a Better Tomorrow” (Justin Lopez-Cardoze) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“I’m Hopeful for a Better Tomorrow” (Justin Lopez-Cardoze)




Lopez-Cardoze is a seventh-grade science teacher at Capital City PublicCharter School in Washinton, D.C. He has taught for nine years.
This story appeared in the Washington Post’s online article, October 6, 2020. Lopez-Cardoze is one of nine teachers the newspaper asked to report on their experiences in returning to remote and in-person instruction during the pandemic.
It was the first day of school with students. After eight years of first days, you would think I would feel calm and confident on my ninth. Honestly, each year it gets harder to manage the nerves. You want to do things right; you want your students to like you and say, “This class will be incredible.” On those first days of the last eight years, the moments felt so magical. I would see new faces, bright smiles, goofy personalities and nerves suddenly disappearing. It felt right.
But my ninth first day? I felt uncomfortable. I’m used to hearing and seeing students interacting with each other when I’m presenting on the first day, but in the world of Zoom, all you hear is yourself against multiple tiles on mute — and that day, most of the tiles were blank backgrounds with names. I didn’t hear a laugh. I couldn’t observe body language. What once felt like joy in my classroom CONTINUE READING“I’m Hopeful for a Better Tomorrow” (Justin Lopez-Cardoze) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice