Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Reaping What We Sow | radical eyes for equity

Reaping What We Sow | radical eyes for equity:

Reaping What We Sow

Related image




Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Today marks about a month spent navigating between two polar worlds of responsibility as I approach 60 in a few years.
My two grandchildren live with me and I often provide care for them. I also now visit my mother every day as she recovers from a stroke in a rehabilitation facility where my father died just over two weeks ago.
My three-year-old granddaughter and mother, in fact, are sharing a similar journey with language—uttering smalls bursts of distinguishable speech among strings of mostly gibberish.
Watching my father’s declining health and death along side my mother’s unexpected stroke and painstaking recovery, I have experienced more directly what I have known most of my adult life: medical insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security are frail and inadequate sources for basic human dignity.
But these realities are shared daily by millions of people discarded in the U.S. where we simply have no interest in being a Christian nation or a charitable people. No, we prefer Social Darwinism and burying our heads in the sands of the free market and consumerism.
“Consumerism,” in fact, is the perfect and disturbing metaphor for our self-defeating beliefs and practices.
And that brings me to the ugly facts I have been confronting about my Reaping What We Sow | radical eyes for equity: