Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Mother Crusader: DeVos Removes Controversial Twitter Photo But Conflict Of Interest Concerns Continue

Mother Crusader: DeVos Removes Controversial Twitter Photo But Conflict Of Interest Concerns Continue:

DeVos Removes Controversial Twitter Photo But Conflict Of Interest Concerns Continue



Late last week I posted about Betsy DeVos's Twitter header photo, which appeared to show Donald Trump's nominee for Secretary of Education shilling boxed water sold by a company in which she had invested. In the post I posited that, like Trump, DeVos may have her own conflicts of interest to grapple with.

At some point this afternoon, the header photo I challenged was taken off of Betsy DeVos's Twitter account. 

Coincidence? I think not. 

Here's the new photo:




Thanks to some clever cropping, this image seems more appropriate, but it still falls pretty far short for a nominee for a cabinet position. 

You see, I checked out DeVos's website, which is plainly linked on her Twitter account. On the website there is a page for contact and media inquiries. There you will find a line that says:


To download photos of Betsy DeVos for editorial purposes, please click here.

So of course I clicked there, and here's what I found.

The uncropped version of the new header photo is titled "Betsy in a Meeting 3". Here is the entire image, with some commentary from yours truly.



And here are "Betsy in a Meeting 1" and "Betsy in a Meeting 2".







The new photo may be less outwardly problematic, but my goodness, really? With her self reported "28 years involved with education issues" her people can't find one photo of her where she's actually doing something related to, oh, I don't know, educating kids?

Where did I find that fascinating tidbit about 28 years in education, you may ask? On the newly 
Mother Crusader: DeVos Removes Controversial Twitter Photo But Conflict Of Interest Concerns Continue: