Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 19, 2013

I’m late; I’m late, for a very important. . . Review of Diane Ravitch’s new book “Reign of Error” | Crazy Crawfish's Blog

I’m late; I’m late, for a very important. . . Review of Diane Ravitch’s new book “Reign of Error” | Crazy Crawfish's Blog:

I’m late; I’m late, for a very important. . . Review of Diane Ravitch’s new book “Reign of Error”

Posted on September 19, 2013

If you’re like me, you’re late to everything. For instance, my mom is fond of telling me I was late to my own birth. In my defense I always remind her that my brother was three weeks lake and I was only about one week, so relatively speaking I was early. No matter what else happens in life, I will always have that to hold over my brother. Perspective is very important.
For instance, if I surrounded myself with skinny fit people I would feel very fat and unhealthy all the time. That’s why I make it a point of distancing myself from anyone who becomes too obsessed with P90X or Cross fit programs. That type of association would not be good for my mental health. I also make it a point of only befriending folks who are larger than me, especially if they with more physical limitations like a hook for a hand, or a patch over one eye. (Yes. I have a lot of pirate friends.) I also really like to befriend really bald people because they are very jealous of my unruly mop of hair – which I find annoying, but they find enviable. Perspective is what Diane’s book, Reign of Error, is all about.
Reformers and privatizers (not to be confused with my pirate compadres) like to frame their pseudo-successes in a context that makes them look good, and the things they are opposing look bad. For instance, they like to point to the performance of the poor and minorities on standardized tests and show the current achievement gap between them and the wealthy is not closing. They