Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Advice to Students and Authors: Submitting Your Work | the becoming radical

Advice to Students and Authors: Submitting Your Work | the becoming radical:

Advice to Students and Authors: Submitting Your Work

If someone asks me what I do, without hesitation, I can always offer, “I am a teacher and a writer.”
I am extremely fortunate because I am able to make my living as both a teacher and a writer, something afforded me as a university professor. Being a writer and a teacher, also, are not vocations I have chosen, but who I am at my core. In other words, I did not choose to be a teacher and a writer, but I did come to recognize and embrace both ways of being.
Over the past thirty years, I have taught writing to a wide range of students (from high school through graduate courses), addressing all types of writing from poetry and fiction to personal and scholarly essays. For more than thirty years, I have been a serious writer, working on my own original poetry, fiction, essays, blogs, and academic books. Also part of life as a writer has included working as an editor—co-editing a state journal, editing a column inEnglish Journal, editing two series at two different publishers (Peter Lang USA and Sense), and editing/co-editing three volumes (with two other edited volumes in progress).
All of these experiences with being a student, a teacher, a writer, and an editor have provided me with a great deal of experience that has taught m