Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Teachers union gives poor grade to L.A. schools Supt. Deasy - latimes.com

Teachers union gives poor grade to L.A. schools Supt. Deasy - latimes.com:

Teachers union gives poor grade to L.A. schools Supt. Deasy

L.A. schools Supt. John Deasy

The L.A. teachers union pressed its campaign of criticism against L.A. schools Supt. John Deasy Thursday with the release of a survey in which 85% of those who responded rated him below average or poor.
The superintendent scored poorly on every one of 25 questions, which, taken together, were a read on the morale of teachers who participated. About 26% of union members returned the survey, according to United Teachers Los Angeles.
"We’re constantly being told you have to do better, you have to do better, the data is showing you're not doing job. It’s frustrating. It’s demoralizing sometimes,” said Tarltonette Binion, a teacher at 156th Street Elementary, who took part in a news conference at union headquarters in Koreatown. "I am overwhelmed. I feel I am unable to do my job sometimes because of the expectations of the district coming down."
"I love what I'm doing," Binion added, "but for the first time in 32 years I wonder how much longer I can keep doing this."
The union's gambit of evaluating Deasy is an intentional twist on Deasy's nascent evaluation that