Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Leadership and Capacity | Connected Principals

Leadership and Capacity | Connected Principals:

Leadership and Capacity

July 7, 2013
By 
“I’ve come to realize that I’m not the only one that wishes
I had more capacity to do the things I really want to do as a leader.”
I said that on a post about Leadership and Management back in October. Two weeks ago, as my school year for the Inquiry Hub was coming to a close, report cards for Coquitlam Open Learningwere going out, students were scrambling to get last minute marks to universities for their online courses, and summer school prep was under way, not to mention an onslaught of emails… I’d have to say that I had one of the busiest weeks of my life. There simply wasn’t enough time in the day!
This reminded me of a conversation that I had a while back with a friend and mentor, where he spoke about, “Stuff, not people.”
What's falling off the back of your truck? ~ By David Truss
“Stuff, not people.”
Pardon?
“Stuff, not people. When things get really busy, and you can’t do everything, things will ‘fall off the back of your truck’. When that happens, make sure that it’s stuff, and not people.”
After a meeting a couple weeks later, I shared this thought with another friend. Her response was