Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Why I fight, and why you should too | Crazy Crawfish's Blog

Why I fight, and why you should too | Crazy Crawfish's Blog:



"Was Abe A RINO Too?" John Boehner Has No Use For Lincoln In Context

 Reblogged from mykeystrokes.com:

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) sent a memo to all House Republicans today, telling them what a great job they're doing. Of particular interest, though, was the Speaker arguing how "noble" he and his party are for trying to balance the budget. From the memo:
The book Congressman Lincoln by Chris DeRose, which I recently read, includes a chapter focused on Abraham Lincoln's efforts to help craft a new national agenda.
Read more… 554 more words
Great example of how today's GOP often twists meaning and history from its actual context to make historical figures say what they wanted them to say, but not what they actually did. Today's GOP could only still be the party of Lincoln, if Lincoln said and did the opposite of everything he actually did. No problem. With just a little 


Why I fight, and why you should too

I recently received a comment on my blog that struck a chord. . . and triggered a memory of who I used to be and who I am.  It addresses a number of questions people ask me about my own feelings on a wide range of issues, and I found it both focusing and inspirational and thought I would share it with you.
Let me just say that I’m not a teacher, and my kids are only now starting going to public schools. While I did work for the Louisiana Department of Education until recently, that was in the data department and my only role dealing with children’s issues directly was ain an advisory position on a student discipline adversary panel. So I understand why people ask me:
“Why do you care so much? Why do you fight, for teachers, for other people’s kids? You’re not a teacher and you could afford non-public school for your kids.” (Most white middle class families living in Baton Rouge go that route.) “You could afford to move to a wealthier school district with kids and families just like yours. (If they don’t go the former route most take this one.) “Why do you stay in a school district that lags many in the state when there are top notch ones in parishes