Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Josh Birdwell – Education Reform Is Becoming a Revolution Student Voice

Student Voice:


Josh Birdwell – Education Reform Is Becoming a Revolution

The Huffington Post will be promoting various Student Voice articles prior to the Student Voice Live! summit on April 13th.
The following is from Josh Birdwell:

Our voices matter because we are the most heavily affected by choices made in education policy and curriculum. I refuse to be simply a number who passed all of his End of Instruction tests (EOIs) and met the requirements. Without voices, we can give no feedback on the effectiveness of the system. Recently more students have been voicing their thoughts and ideas on education and it would be safe to say not many praise the secondary educational experience. There are exceptions out there. I am one of them partially; junior year I began to attend a Pre-Engineering Academy that supplemented my public schooling. This got me through high school without being absolutely bored.
Slowly over time, I have begun to gain a stronger voice on educational reform which is now switching to a revolution. Early on in my education, I went through the motions and never really questioned my schooling. I was learning because it was required and not because I wanted to. Sure, there were a handful of classes that broke the mold. It wouldn’t be until senior year that I took my education into my own hands. Engineering Design and