Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 27, 2013

UPDATE: Some thoughts on teaching Daily Kos: A mental meandering of no great importance

Daily Kos: A mental meandering of no great importance:



Some thoughts on teaching

for reasons probably not worth explaining, I just had occasion to reread the Press Release put out by Prince George's County Public Schools when I won my Agnes Meyer Outstanding Teacher award.  It reminds me again of why I wanted to be in a classroom, so I thought I would share them here.
Do with them what you want.
Peace.
“I believe that unless the United States can maintain vibrant and viable public schools, we run a real risk that our experiment in democracy will fail. Like Jefferson, I believe that democracy cannot function successfully without an informed and participatory citizenry,” said Bernstein. “As a teacher, I believe that all students can show mastery of every subject at some level (thank you Jerome Bruner for this idea), that students have different kinds of minds/intelligence (thanks, Howard Gardner), and should be expected to succeed. I'm still learning what it means to be a teacher, as I am still learning what it means to be a human being.”



A mental meandering of no great importance

It is a Saturday morning in the Spring.  It is a time of year I normally would enjoy.  Were I in the classroom, I would be hearing from former students which of the colleges that had accepted them was going to be honored by their presence.  we would be preparing for exams - the AP exam would be soon, the state exam in government to follow shortly thereafter.
Little of that applies now.  Oh, I hear from student, usually from Facebook.  It is not like having them come into my room.  Last year that process started very early, when one young lady came into my room with a big bouquet of fruit and candy, because she had gotten into Johns Hopkins early decision - I had encouraged her to apply, and had written her recommendation.  Later she was honored by the National Society of High School Scholars, and when I went to the gathering as the teacher she had selected who had had the greatest impact upon her, I was asked to speak on behalf of the teachers present.
That seems a lifetime ago.  And I miss it.
Now?  I take delight where I can, usually in small things, like our shyest cat actually letting me pick her up and hold her for a few minutes last evening.   Then, when I have a nightmare, as I just did, I can seek to understand it without it terrifying me.
My nightmare was personal.  The nightmare that America may be becoming is something far more serious.