Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 25, 2013

Bring Your Own Tech to School… and Become a Hacker! | toteachornototeach

Bring Your Own Tech to School… and Become a Hacker! | toteachornototeach:


Bring Your Own Tech to School… and Become a Hacker!

Bring Your Own Tech to School… and Become a Hacker! 
by John Pavley
Getting a new computer is quite a traumatic experience for me. On my personal Mac Mini (vintage 2009) I have all my favorite apps installed and all my folders and files just where I like them. I have all my accounts, system settings, network settings, and fonts customized and optimized. It took me weeks of trial and error to get it set up so I can focus on thinking and producing and not getting distracted by missing bits and bytes.
Over the years Apple has helped out by allowing me to “migrate” my data, accounts, apps, and network settings every time I buy a new Mac (which isn’t often). And Google helps with synchronizing my bookmarks and browser plugins when I sign in to Chrome. I don’t use iCloud or Google Drive, but I do use Dropbox to ensure important documents follow me around as I wander from machine to machine. These tools all help me feel at home on th