Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 9, 2012

What's the Point of Being "Smarter" Than a 5th Grader? DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: What's the Point of Being "Smarter" Than a 5th Grader?:


What's the Point of Being "Smarter" Than a 5th Grader?


I used to play the game, "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?", on my Iphone. But than I realized that I really didn't have enough hours in the day to play the game, and quickly gave it up.

However, I do know how it works. And if you provide me with any device that can grant me access to the Internet, than I can defiantly state that, "Yes, I am smarter than a 5th grader!"

And therein lies my point.  If to be smarter means that I have the ability to regurgitate information that a 5th grader is supposed to know, then that doesn't make me smart. If the premise is that a 5th grader is smarter than me, because he or she can upchuck information at any given moment, than it's a ridiculous premise! 

What is smart? Who decides who is "smart", and who isn't? 

Every Tuesday, I drive across the street to the daycare , and read to 4 and 5 year olds. I had a new student the