Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Ed Notes Online: Rockaway Update: Almost Normal - Let There Be Light

Ed Notes Online: Rockaway Update: Almost Normal - Let There Be Light:

Rockaway Update: Almost Normal - Let There Be Light

One of the major lessons I've learned in recovering from the Sandy disaster  is that to remain optimistic you have to make some progress, no matter how little, every day. Don't be impatient but look to gain at least an inch a day. And for the most part I can say that a day hasn't gone by without moving ahead. By the way, I can apply that same principle to organizing efforts in the UFT -- build it right a step at at time. (I know there are lots of people who feel the growing emergency doesn't allow us that luxury, but if the foundation of any building or org is not done right it will fall.)

Sunday, December 9

Big news this past Friday on this end: over 90% electricity restored after Ken the Great (electrician) sent Tommy and 2 other guys to spend the day cutting out the BX cables that had been under water, installing new lines and reconnecting others. All bedrooms, living room, frig, oven most lights are on. The only things left to do are overhead kitchen lights and some outlets. 
I took my first shower with the light and exhaust and heater on. First time I saw myself naked in 6 weeks. Not a '