Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 16, 2012

NYC Educator: I’m Not a Hero.

NYC Educator: I’m Not a Hero.:


I’m Not a Hero.


Like most people, I don’t particularly want to be one, either. I can’t express my awe and admiration the teachers who protected their students in Newtown, and like anyone, I have no idea what I would do in their circumstances.
The closest I ever came to having students in danger was about 25 years ago. I was a very green teacher, teaching English in summer school. I had already angered administration by demanding use of the sole and sacred school copying machine after they informed me there would be no books for my reading class. They were very upset when I informed them I would not teach the class without materials, and had no choice but to capitulate.
One day, rocks, or BBs, or something very fast,