Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Daily Kos: A reflection on a sad Saturday morning

Daily Kos: A reflection on a sad Saturday morning:


A reflection on a sad Saturday morning

These reflections are a product of my being a classroom based teacher, now in a non-profit public charter school.
I got the news when my spouse forwarded a news alert about the story.  We had a professional development day, with no students.  I shared the news alert with my principal, and later with the larger community.  To say we were shocked is an understatement.  We inspect the bags of our students coming in, and all adults not part of our community have their bags xrayed and pass through a metal detector.  We have security guards who are not armed, and a DC policeman in the building for most of the day.
In my previous school, Eleanor Roosevelt High School, we had an armed Greenbelt policeman on site, although the building had to be very open because we also had 20+ outside "temporary" buildings.
We knew that we were just as vulnerable at Eleanor Roosevelt, we know that we are still vulnerable at my current