Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 12, 2012

Learning About Our Childhood from Our Children | Maria Shriver | The Open Field Network

Learning About Our Childhood from Our Children | Maria Shriver | The Open Field Network:


Learning About Our Childhood from Our Children



Several weeks ago I noticed a marked shift in my behavior and reactions. To bottom line it: I was losing it a lot with my children.
As all parents know, children will test your resolve on a daily, sometimes hourly, sometimes minutely (is that a word?) basis.
As the child of severely toxic parents, it was imperative in my run-up to parenthood that I learn to do my best to not lose my cool with my kids.
That’s not to say I don’t believe in discipline, teaching manners and respect and personal responsibility. I insist on it.
But I’ve also had to work very hard at not being the impatient, often intolerant father my father was for me and my siblings.
As every parent also knows, there is no preparation for the constant onslaught of demands children make upon you and the frustration a parent in this day and age can