Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Things Are Getting Interesting

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Things Are Getting Interesting:


Things Are Getting Interesting

District updates:

I asked the Board about their stand on I-1240 and received this reply from President DeBell:

A Resolution opposing I-1240 is on next week's agenda  for introduction and action.  It was recommended unanimously by the Executive Committee to the full Board at yesterday's meeting and will be posted tomorrow.  

This follows the Renton School Board's rejection of I-1240 as well.  

So here how it is lining up against I-1240:
Community groups, many legislators and other elected officials, the Washington State PTA, the Washington State School Directors Association, the Association of School Administrators, the principals' association, numerous labor groups, and, I predict, a huge number of specific school boards.

On the other side:
Billionaires, LEV, Stand, DFER, many editorial boards and all the people who believe that by voting for charters they stick it to the teachers union.  (I say the latter because I have tracked the editorials and two things are apparent.  Most of the editorial boards did NOT read the initiative because they get basic details wrong.  Two,