Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » We need to be willing to commit ritualized suicide…

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » We need to be willing to commit ritualized suicide…:


We need to be willing to commit ritualized suicide…

Now that I have your attention, I wanted to share something that I found more disturbing than the Promethean guys in orange spandex bodysuits. It was a quote that I heard not once, but on twiceat the ISTE conference:
“We need to be willing to drink the koolaid” –presenter appearing on a video feed at ISTE
You might have used this quote yourself in trying to extol others to join the bandwagon of ed tech (or some other innovation). There is a school in my area that that has used this phrase to exhort teachers to “get with the program” on the school reform being implemented. People seemed to have completely forgotten the original context of the phrase and have decided that drinking koolaid is a good thing.
I find this puzzling, but unsurprising in a culture that practices unintentional irony on a periodic basis, but it’s disturbing nonetheless as my husband grew up with folks  who were members of the Peoples Temple, and participated (willingly or not) in the ritualized suicide that coined this phrase. I like koolaid and have used it to