Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 2, 2012

Schools Matter: GUEST POST: Tenure Perches in the Soul

Schools Matter: GUEST POST: Tenure Perches in the Soul:

GUEST POST: Tenure Perches in the Soul

Tenure Perches in the Soul
by Douglas Storm

I.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune–without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I’ve heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

Emily Dickinson

***

“I eat the air, promise crammed.” Hamlet

II.

This piece intends to speak about tenure, finally, if you will bear with me.

Let’s set the stage a bit.

Here’s the situation we’re in, and I’m sure you’re aware of much of it: business owners like to do what they want whenever they want as they deem appropriate to their interests. This is why they are anti-regulation and anti-tax and why they are very keen to always vote yes for more deference to property in the law. Regulation and tax,