Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Three Quick Reads for Policy Makers | The Forum for Education and Democracy

Three Quick Reads for Policy Makers | The Forum for Education and Democracy:

Three Quick Reads for Policy Makers

When I left the university ranks some twenty years ago to become principal, one of the first things I missed about my old job was having the time to read. Now, as both superintendent and principal, reading time seems even more precious but even more important. So I find myself grabbing quick reads, and three of them hit my desk over the holiday break.

The first was the Atlantic magazine story on Finland's educational success. If you haven't tired of reading about why we keep getting it wrong while Finland gets it right, this is worth a look. The new twist in this piece are the comments by Pasi Sahlberg from the Finnish Ministry of Education noting that Americans simply ignore what is crucial to Finland's success: a focus on equity over excellence.

read more