Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

School Tech Connect: Mic Check! #ows

School Tech Connect: Mic Check!:

Mic Check!

There was an interesting mic check up in my neck of the woods yesterday, written about nicely over atChicagoist. There was a bit of Twitter traffic over the mic check-- one of the local journo's got his panties in a bunch over it. (My self-editing has gone to hell.)

Listen, I too worry about mic checks if they drown free speech, but this one was brief and the alderman got his shpiel in, delayed by five minutes or so. In short, everyone's First Amendment rights were intact. For me, the more interesting part came out after it was over, and one individual described what it's been like lately to try and get mental health services on the north side of the city. Evidently if you're without insurance, you now have to go to the Stroger ER and get admitted. Nightmare. Community mental health services are pennies on the dollar any way you look at it.

I'm stealing the video because it was so compelling. Compelling is the new standard by which I make copyright decisions.

Popout
Occupy movement "mic checks" Joe Moore from Kaavya Chandrasekaran on Vimeo.


Free speech in action. Anyhoo, as for Joe Moore, he was my alderman in the past; I voted for him. But then he