Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 14, 2011

Proof there is no proof for education reforms - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Proof there is no proof for education reforms - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post:

Proof there is no proof for education reforms

This was written by Carol Corbett Burris, principal of South Side High School in New York. She was named the 2010 New York State Outstanding Educator by the School Administrators Association of New York State.

By Carol Corbett Burris

My three daughters loved Miss Levin. Each of them had Gail Levin in elementary school. Whenever she was their teacher, I knew I was taking the back seat from September to June. I did not mind. She made them feel very smart. That was because she challenged them to think deeply and critically about what they learned. She reminded me of the very best teachers that I have enjoyed at all levels of my own schooling — those who would not accept opinion as fact and challenged my thinking with the opposite point of view.

Read full article >>

Time to put collegiate sports into proper focus

This was written by Stephen Joel Trachtenberg, who was president of George Washington University from 1998 to 2007 and now holds an endowed chair in the university’s Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration. Before moving to GWU, he was president of the University of Hartford and an administrator at Boston University.

Read full article >>