Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 3, 2011

All Education Matters: Indentured Educated Women

All Education Matters: Indentured Educated Women:

Indentured Educated Women

I often think about gender and how it intersects with being an educated debtor. Many women have written to me, expressing their fears about never being able to have a family or owning a home. The option of domesticity has been stripped from many of us who are indentured educated women. While it was once enormously painful for me to accept that I would never have a child, I have now come to terms with it. (I'd really like to adopt, but that costs money, something I seriously lack!) And for those who have told me to have a child, and that things are always tough, i.e., that it's "never the right time to have a child," I can assure you that it is not appropriate or fair to bring a child into this world. I live with my in-laws. I can't buy my own groceries. How on earth could I justify having a baby? Of course, for those of you who have made the decision to have children, I respect that entirely. However, when it comes to my own personal life, it wouldn't be right. That does not mean I pass judgment on anyone who thinks otherwise. We all make different decisions, especially when it comes to intimate matters