Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Daily Kos: If this is Saturday morning

Daily Kos: If this is Saturday morning

If this is Saturday morning

it should be a time for quiet reflection. Even though I am not teaching this summer, and will not again be with students for perhaps another 6 weeks.

And yet . . . a man I know slightly invited me to be the final speaker for the class of graduate students currently serving as educational assistants and in the process of becoming teachers. Originally I was to chat with them for around 45 minutes, and instead it became 90, and a few have since followed up by email. The experience reminded me how much of my life is focused on helping others to learn.

I met the professor years ago when I was teaching middle school - one of the women on our team considered him her most influential professor, and he visited our school. Later I explored doing a doctorate at Maryland until