Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

This Week In Education: Reform: A Teacher Reflects On Her Experience (& My Book)

This Week In Education: Reform: A Teacher Reflects On Her Experience (& My Book)

Reform: A Teacher Reflects On Her Experience (& My Book)

image from scholasticadministrator.typepad.comNicole Soussan taught English at Locke High School from 2006 to 2008, and was kind enough to let me share her reflections on what happened while she was at the school and what's happened there since she left: "Frank Wells hired me to teach at Locke High School after asking me to do one thing: tell him about myself. I'm not sure if it was my degree in African American Studies, my incredible enthusiasm for teaching at Locke, or the fact that he had hired a number of other Teach for America teachers that day, but a few minutes later, I was hired over a handshake. I had no idea then that my life and my job would unfold the way they did." [continued below]

"Reading Stray Dogs, Saints, and Saviors a few years afterwards, I beamed with pride to know that Ronnie Coleman overheard my students talking about Macbeth and wept when I recalled the May 2008 riot (during which I literally pulled a student away from a police officer striking her with his baton). I smiled as I could hear my