Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

School Tech Connect: New Standards Are Here

School Tech Connect: New Standards Are Here

New Standards Are Here

And nothing will change.

First of all, Race to the Top was supposed to be, among other things, economic stimulus for the recession. Maryland is now getting around to spending money to bus teachers hither and yon to learn about the Common Core Standards, which are still in that nebulous state prior to being interpreted differently from district to district, school to school, teacher to teacher. How it's all a stimulus, I don't know. Did some unemployed people get hired to work on the standards?

As for the standards themselves, if I were still a teacher, by this point I'd be asking, "Will someone just tell me what to friggin' teach and where to stand and which tests I have to give and what should I say to the kids at every minute of the day?"

The real issue for me is toward the bottom of the article, where some of the Maryland teachers are pointing out that the new high-stakes, connected-to-evaluation tests don't even exist yet, and still the evaluation laws have moved forward.


During an opening question-and-answer session, one audience member asked Jenkins