Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Jersey Jazzman: Let's Make a Deal, Senator Sweeney

Jersey Jazzman: Let's Make a Deal, Senator Sweeney

Let's Make a Deal, Senator Sweeney

Steve Sweeney wants me to pay more - a LOT more - into my pension. He tells me it's the only way to keep my pension solvent. He tells me it's the only way I can hope to actually have a pension in years to come.

And he tells me that the state, the counties, the towns, and the school districts will now have a contractual obligation to pay their fair share - which they haven't done in nearly 20 years.

OK, Senator, I'll make you deal: I'll sign off on increasing my pension payments, if you tell me EXACTLY how you are going to get the money to make good on your end.

In other words: who are you going to tax, and how much? Or, where are you going to cut? Until you can tell me