Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 27, 2011

Week in Lab for May 2011 | Reflections on Teaching

Week in Lab for May 2011 | Reflections on Teaching

Week in Lab for May 2011

I am still working in the lab, and have been doing some interesting things…

First Grade

I’m starting to show some of my favorite videos, some no dialogue live-action stories that are available on Discovery Education. This week we looked at A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog. I like using these with the kids to teach about sequencing, prediction, etc. as the stripped-down nature of the video really helps the kids focus, and they are extremely accessible for English learners. The only issue I had was cultural, some of the kids thought the boy was trying to catch the frog to eat it, so I had to explain about keeping frogs as pets (and that people do eat frogs too).

Second Grade

Their unit is Our Country. I went back and did some work with Native American topics. I’m more excited about next week when I bring out Google Maps and start to look at geography.