Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

This PLC Thing… « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

This PLC Thing… « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

This PLC Thing…

I have to say, this PLC thing (Professional Learning Community)has really been working. I went to Arizona in February to a PLC Summit, thought it was just a free trip to Phoenix. But it wasn’t, it was so much more. Very productive seminars, and I learned so much!

Fast forward to May, and I have to admit, I am enjoy using what I’ve learned from it. Now, as a school, we’re not quite there yet, but we are a lot farther than where we were when we started. More people have ” got on the bus”, and it has really helped our students improve. Personally, I love what it has done for my team, we are collaborating and making decisions that are good for our kids.

For example, we looked at our student scores on a common math assessment, and decided to have Math workshops that focused on the skills they were weak in. Each teacher chose the focus skill he or she was strong in, and taught based on the level of the group we saw. Can you say “differentiated instruction”? Of