Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Michelle Rhee and the Machine - E.D. Kain - American Times - Forbes

Michelle Rhee and the Machine - E.D. Kain - American Times - Forbes

Michelle Rhee and the Machine

WASHINGTON - OCTOBER 13:  District of Columbia...

Michelle Rhee’s brash style and take-no-prisoners approach to school reform in D.C. won her some admirers in the press and the education reform movement, but made her a pariah for teachers’ unions and the D.C. political establishment. It was hardly a surprise that when Adrian Fenty lost his mayoral re-election bid, Rhee went down with him.

I had mixed feelings about Rhee when she was still chancellor, and I have mixed feelings about her now. But I thought her two-track option was a really good idea, allowing young teachers to enter the system without tenure but with a much better salary upfront. I would make that bargain if I were a teacher, and I suspect many other would-be teachers might also.

Richard Whitmire has a long post up at Huffington Post defending Rhee from a number of accusations that have