Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Teacher: ‘My employer has become my enemy’ - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Teacher: ‘My employer has become my enemy’ - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Teacher: ‘My employer has become my enemy’

A library media educator in Los Angeles who blogs under the name Mizz Murphy wrote a powerful, first-person account of hearings being held by the Los Angeles Unified School District for teachers and others who who have received a Reduction in Force notice and are trying to keep their jobs.

The district, the nation’s second largest, sent layoff notices recently to about 5,000 teachers and other staff to help close a projected deficit for next year or more than $400 million. It is not clear how many people will lose their jobs because the budget has not been finalized.

Read full article >>