Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Daily Kos: 12 more days left

Daily Kos: 12 more days left

12 more days left

in this my 65th year of life. Another occasion to take some time and reflect.

My focus today is on changes from my high school years until now. Specifically, I look at what confronts our students, especially our seniors about to go off to college, and compare it with what I remember - I graduated from high school in June of 1963.

What I see troubles me.

In 1963 we were still working on issues of equity - it would be the summer after I graduated that I came to DC for the Civil Rights March. We had hope - ah, that's a word with recent familiarity - that we could change things for the better. And despite the shock of 11/22/63 and the death of our President, we were in the next few years able