Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 18, 2011

Blank Slate: Private School Leaders Step Up! « School Finance 101

Blank Slate: Private School Leaders Step Up! « School Finance 101

Blank Slate: Private School Leaders Step Up!

I’ve noted on several occasions on Twitter (@schlfinance101) and on my blog that I am actually a supporter of high quality private independent schools. In the 1990s, I was a middle school science teacher at The Fieldston School in Riverdale, NY. That experience sticks with me to this day as I write about public education policy issues. In fact, Fieldston helped provide the financial support for the pursuit of my doctoral studies at Columbia University, and for that I thank them. Yes, they helped pay for the meaningless advanced degree that eventually led me to leave (so perhaps it was worth it for them?). Being at a school that supported my own academic/intellectual endeavors was important for me, and I expect I’m not alone in that regard. In high school, I summered at Phillips Exeter Academy after my sophomore year. I attended an expensive, competitive small