Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Notes from the Field « City School Stories #wisolidarity #wiunion #weac

Notes from the Field « City School Stories

Wisconsin Attack On Educators And Other Public Workers Inspires A Tale of Two Teachers

Submitted by Bobbie Cratchit*, February 22, 2011

I remember when I first decided that I would become a teacher. For me it was not a lifelong dream, more a position of circumstance that brought me to the profession. I needed a job in walking distance of my small junior college where I had begun freshman year as a social service major. The Pre-Kindergarten School down the street was hiring a part-time before/after school caretaker. It fit my needs and I took the job. It was there that while working with the children I discovered a love for reading to children and helping them develop skills in math and life.

When I informed my parents of my decision to transfer to a four-year education program, my mother stated “Teaching is a noble profession. You will not make much money and it is very hard work. “My parents supported me, as they always have, and I began my career as a teacher four years later.

It was not an easy road. I worked full-time and attended classes at night for four years. I received my degree one year past my expected graduation due to transferring my major. Five years as an undergrad and one mor