Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Queens Teacher: The View From Inside Teach for America

Queens Teacher: The View From Inside Teach for America

The View From Inside Teach for America

The view from inside Teach for America

Eric Maroney recounts an encounter with the school "reform" movement.

WHEN I received an invitation to a Teach for America (TFA) benefit dinner, I thought, "Me? Really? They must have the wrong guy."

I, a Teach for America corps member, have a reputation for openly criticizing the organization's version of "school reform" and staunchly supporting teachers' unions--not to mention being an out-of-the-closet Marxist. Still, I'm curious, and so I respond with my RSVP.

The day of the benefit dinner arrives. I've asked a colleague to cover my last period class during dismissal because, although our contract has our day ending at 3:30 p.m., it's not infrequent that we're monitoring students until almost 4 p.m.

I run out of the building, while juggling a plastic crate full of papers to be graded and ease myself behind the